The culture and gender wars are in full swing in Australia at present. One of the upcoming skirmishes concerns ‘freedom of religion’.
It’s good to know that balanced discussion and civilised, even compassionate, debate is possible to find, depending on where you look. To challenge firmly-held beliefs, however, it may be necessary to read more polemical works as well, and if we’re not willing to genuinely challenge our cherished beliefs, of what real value are those beliefs? So we need to weigh up both pro(gressive)s and con(servative)s on the issue.
A few salutary articles are listed below.
- Scott Morrison’s Christianity doesn’t spell the end of democracy (Simon Smart, (ABC News)
- Religious discrimination act would protect Australian freedoms (Dan Tehan, The Australian)
- Please explain: How is ‘religious freedom’ under threat? (Editorial, Sydney Morning Herald)
- Liberal MP Tim Wilson warns on unintended consequences of religious freedom law (The Guardian, Australia)
- Protecting religious freedoms will not lead to discrimination (Denis Dragovic & Barney Zwartz, Sydney Morning Herald)
- Morrison’s bid for religious freedom looks like legislated homophobia (Catherine McGregor, Sydney Morning Herald)