Truth-telling: a two-part exploration
Online presentation as part of SOFiA’s 2021 AGM
10am, Saturday, 19 June 2021
Sojourn at the Bunya Mountains, Queensland
Monday 18 – Thursday 21 October, 2021
The Yolngu of north-west Arnhem Land have a word for the process of justly and peacefully resolving conflict: Makarrata. The 2017 Uluru Statement From the Heart has called for Makarrata to help achieve “a fair and truthful relationship with the people of Australia and a better future for our children based on justice and self-determination.”
Key to this process is truth-telling. Most non-Indigenous people in Australia grew up knowing little about the First Australians, and much of what they did know was either inaccurate or untrue. Aboriginal people themselves were prevented from engaging in – and even, often enough, from knowing about – their own cultural practices. What is the truth about Indigenous experience and history on this land, and how can we learn and faithfully convey it?
SOFiA members and other interested friends are invited to take part in two upcoming events in 2021:
- SOFiA’s 2021 AGM (June 19, online) will feature a guest speaker addressing the topic of truth-telling in this context.
- A residential sojourn at Queensland’s Bunya Mountains (Mon 18 – Thurs 21 October) will focus on the truth about the experience and history of the First Australians. It will involve local Murri people sharing their knowledge, and an excursion to the Ration Shed Museum at Cherbourg is planned.
The details for the online Zoom meeting on June 19 will be advertised in the April edition of SOFiA’s e-newsletter (available to view here in due course).
We are currently seeking expressions of interest for the Bunya Mountains trip so we can arrange accommodation. If you are interested, please let us know by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the end of July, 2021.
Some relevant internet links
- The Statement from the Heart
- Rachel Perkins, the 2019 Boyer Lectures, ‘The End of Silence’
- The Ration Shed Museum, Cherbourg
- Report on truth-telling from the 2018 Parliamentary Committee on Constitutional Recognition (PDF)