Spiral Dynamics is a theory about the evolution of world-views of humankind over the last 100,000 years. It has been developed by Dr Don Beck and has largely been made accessible to non-academics via the What is Enlightenment website. It is part of WIE's 'program' to assist us to develop ourselves spiritually in such a way as to be faithful to the rationality of post-scientific modernism and to post-modernism itself. I have found this website to be most 'enlightening' in my quest to understand a spiritual self that is essentially atheistic. (More about the website itself at a later date - Spiral Dynamics is quite a good way to be introduced to it.)
Spiral Dynamics uses colour codes as short-hand for various categories of worldviews:
- beige - family groups; survival in a violent environment - 100,000 years ago
- purple - tribal life; world of magic and spirit beings - from 50,000 years ago
- red - feudal kingdoms; egocentric; magic-mythic - from 10,000 years ago
- blue - life has meaning & purpose; mythic; ethnocentric - from 5,000 years ago
- orange - individual achievement; rational, worldcentric - from 300 years ago
- green - seeking inner peace, pluralistic, free of dogma - from 150 years ago.
There is a continuation into more modern times but few of us are likely to reflect those worldviews. (Now there's a challenge!)
I've found it easier to understand some of the events of history and some of the strange worldviews of people today, using the SD categories. For example Christian fundamentalists 'fit' the blue category while SOFIA members are often orange and some green! Have a look at SD and see what you think.
Click on: http://www.wie.org/spiral/?ifr=hp-thm and then scroll down to The Never-Ending Upward Quest, click an "Article". It's quite long but well worth (in my view) the time and effort. You will be asked to register free of charge, thereby receiving the odd email, but access to this site will be rewarding to most of us.